RE: RARA-AVIS: "Marlowe"+"The Falcon Takes Over"

From: Dave Zeltserman ( davez@shore.net)
Date: 10 Sep 2002

I'm probably in the minority here, but my favorite Marlowe movie is "A Long Goodbye". Probably because of Sterling Hayden's terrific performance.

-Dave

-----Original Message----- From: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca [mailto: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca] On Behalf Of JIM DOHERTY Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 6:51 PM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: "Marlowe"+"The Falcon Takes Over"

Re Jack's comment below:

> I think it [MARLOWE]would have been better in black
> and
> white, but I always think that about noir unless
> the colors are terribley muted . . .

MARLOWE's non-noir look is why it is my text-book example of "hard-boiled but not noir" while MURDER, MY SWEET, featuring the same character, is my text-book example of "both hard-boiled and noir."

Like I always say, hard-boiled is about attitude; noir's about atmosphere.

By the way, MURDER MY SWEET is the best Marlowe movie, and Powell the best Marlowe. Glad THAT's settled.

JIM DOHERTY

__________________________________________________ Yahoo! - We Remember 9-11: A tribute to the more than 3,000 lives lost http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute

.