Re: RARA-AVIS: Texas Wind

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 08 Sep 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "JIM DOHERTY" < jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2002 2:45 PM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Texas Wind

> James.
>
> Re your comment on TEXAS WIND below:
>
> > . . . my TEXAS WIND is a PI novel,
> > as well as my first
> > novel. An homage to Ross Macdonald, if you will.
> > (Or as a reader once said
> > to a friend of mine who ran a bookstore at the time,
> > "He just ripped off
> > everything in the Lew Archer books!")
>
> As long as TEXAS WIND, and its scarcity, has come up,
> I'll ask publicly. Any chance of a reprint?

There have been several reprint deals that came up over the years, but they all fell through for one reason or another. Right now there's nothing pending.

> A lot of
> authors are going the POD route to get their
> out-of-print works back between covers and I believe
> MWA has a deal worked out with Iuniverse that allows
> previously published works to use Iuniverse with no
> (or at least small) fees if they're MWA members. Is
> there a possiblity?
>
> JIM DOHERTY

I haven't investigated IUniverse at all, but I've been thinking about POD and am leaning toward that option. I just need to get around to doing something about it. I have one POD book out now, a fantasy novel I wrote long ago with a friend of mine, and the finished product looks really nice. My friend did all the work of setting up the deal, so I'm not sure but I don't think he had to pay any fees. If anyone has had any experiences with POD, good or bad, I'd be glad to hear about them. Probably off-list would be better (unless they're hardboiled PODs).

Best, James