RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V4 #503

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 04 Sep 2002

Betsy said: Try Willard Motley's Knock on any Door. Not Jackson Browne's Knock on Any Door or Humphrey Bogart's Knock on Any Door, but the original, the book. Lot

of HB coming out of Chicago at that time. Motley's novel had some classic
'40s moves.

*********** Thanks, Betsy. Found it used for cheap! There were three reviews for the book, and two of them said the book was the best they'd ever read. I had never heard of Willard Motley. Evidently, the book has a sequel which is also highly regarded. And it looks like Chicago was a popular hardboiled locale in the early years. I'll be reading Burnett's LITTLE CAESAR here shortly, and I notice it's based in Chicago. And I think Far- rell's STUDS LONIGAN series is too.

thanks again, miker