RARA-AVIS: RE: Women Writing Men and vice versa

From: Miano, Mark (NBC) ( Mark.Miano@nbc.com)
Date: 03 Sep 2002

I think Tom Ripley is a believable male character. Haven't yet read the Ripley books after THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY, but for me, Highsmith never intruded on Tom's "male" sense of view.

On a similar note, a friend once complained about the characterization of the female protagonist in Grisham's legal thriller, THE PELICAN BRIEF. I'd read the book too and while I didn't care for it much, thought the character was believable. My friend said Grisham spent too much time describing the the woman's looks -- especially how good she looked in blue jeans -- which he never did with male protagonists.

Mark

        Because e-mail can be altered electronically,
        the integrity of this communication cannot be guaranteed.