Re: RARA-AVIS: Gold Medal Month: The Last Hurrah

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 31 Aug 2002

George wrote:

"Second, the protagonist, Cliff, never "gets" her at all in any sense of the word."

Cliff "got" Letty in the car on the beach when he snuck out of the roadhouse with her behind her husband's back.

I read Brass Cupcake, too. Although I thought it was very good, I was not nearly as impressed as you were. I found a few of the twists and turns a bit contrived and some of the love talk with Melody was a bit too precious, but I guess that's the nature of a '50s Gold Medal. Still, very good, though, and I liked Cliff as a character, willing to get dirty (as with Letty, which had nothing to do with desire) in order to get a guilty party, but too clean (why he got kicked out of the cops) to set up an innocent as a fall guy.

Mark