Re: RARA-AVIS: Future of the Genre

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 31 Aug 2002

 I don't personally know any PIs, but they are around;
> they're sued or present evidence every so often, according to the
local
> newspapers.

I don't know about the US but here in the Antipodes private dicking seems to be an ever-growing industry (one of the few), to the point of where late-night television has ads recruiting potential applicants to a training course. The work mostly consists of surveilling & videotaping insurance claimants fixing their flat tires, etc, as I understand it. I guess they might do missing person stuff - they were certainly doing it in the 1960's when my mother hired one (long story) but I think insurance co's are the bread & butter of the "pi" business in Australia. I think the training course advertised mostly consists of learning how to use a vidcam, from what I heard from a guy who actually went for the job (he preferred it to the public service - go figure). Oh, yeah - he never mentioned anything about any beautiful, mysterious & deadly female clients but I think he's just trying to keep a good thing to himself.

Rene