RARA-AVIS: Gold Medal Month

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 31 Aug 2002

Peter Rabe - IT'S MY FUNERAL copyright 1957 # 678

Back cover:

SHE WAS A MILLION-DOLLAR CHASIS HEADING FOR A SMASH...

I'm Daniel Port, late of a powerful Eastern mob with the queer idea I could play it straight, lay that pistol down and sleep like a baby through the night.

Then along came Ella Anders, a delectable, husky-voiced, Ella. Someone had acquired the wrong kind of pictures of her. Her studio hired me to get them back -- hired me and my tough rep. So if I took the job it was my funeral.

Hell, we all gotta go and what a lovely way to die...

The book has a lot of people getting knocked out, but there is not much more violence. It is really a mildly diverting book with various chracters trying to collect by blackmailing others. There are also various doublecrosses. The maguffin, the film, today wouldn't be given an 'R' in a movie today much less be thought possibly damaging to an actress' career The writing didn't seem to flow smoothly.

I guess it does have the obligatory scene. A woman who Port thinks is the secretary walk into the office where he is waiting. and goes into the closet presumably to change or put something away. She comes out wearing no clothes. She never appears again.in the book. Mark