Re: RARA-AVIS: Rankin and loafers

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 30 Aug 2002

Bill H wrote:

"One of my colleagues suggests that Rankin may be playing with words. She has heard the phrase "someone light in his loafers" applied to homosexuals."

That's why I initially brought up the question. I am very familiar with the phrase "light in the loafers" referring to homosexuality. I asked several friends and that's how they all knew the phrase, too. So I was asking if "like your loafers" was specific to Rankin (and he does play off it, saying it didn't matter to Rebus because he never wore loafers) or whether it was the accepted British version of the phrase.

Mark