RARA-AVIS: Is Carroll John Daly a guy or girl?

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 29 Aug 2002

I'm almost finished with Carroll John Daly's SNARL OF THE BEAST, so I thought I'd read George's paper on him. Great job, George! A fantastic amount of research, and a lot of good evidence for your androgyny theme in Daly's work. I was very impressed. I liked both the historical and the personal details that you mentioned, too. It had some good information about the origin of the hardboiled genre. And I didn't know that Daly had a falling out with Cap Shaw and quit writing for Black Mask until Shaw was gone.

I'll save my comments on SNARL OF THE BEAST until pre-1930's month. I will say that I haven't been exposed to a lot of real pulp, so I had some trouble tolerating it to begin with, but once I got into it and adjusted to Race's excessive bra- vado, I'm finding it fun and entertaining.

Incidentally, the subject line is just a play on George's androgyny theme. I know Daly was a guy.

miker