Re: RARA-AVIS: You gotta love it.

From: George C. Upper III ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Aug 2002

--- Mario Taboada < matrxtech@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I like the studies that take a long time to conclude
> the
> obvious.

I just read the other day about a study in which it was determined that after ingesting a few beers, one tends to find members of the opposite sex more attractive. I wish I were making this up, but somebody actually felt to need to prove the existance beer goggles. This is why I stopped with my M.A. I think--at least for now. Now, if I could just find a job...

On the plus side, not working has allowed me to read some short fiction, something I don't often make time for. I found an obscure (to me, at least) little short by Westlake in SCI-FI PRIVATE EYES called "The Winner," and I've been reading some of the YEAR'S BEST anthology from whatever year it was that Parker edited
(1996?).

But, so that I could have something topical to discuss, I've also started THE BRASS CUPCAKE--JDM's first novel and a GM paperback. It doesn't have the driving suspense that I've come to expect from a lot of his stand-alones, but the characterization is wonderful and the protagonist is tough as nails. I think I know how it's going to end--I'm looking forward to finding out whether I'm right or whether JDM has a trick up his sleeve. When I finish this, which will likely be today, I'm going right on to his next novel, JUDGE ME NOT.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/