Re: RARA-AVIS: Perry Mason

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 23 Aug 2002

> Erle Stanley Gardner's first Mason was Velvet Claws. Mason was
reasonably
> hard-boiled in that book. Thereafter, he evolved into the Mason we
know.

> Can anyone point me in the direction of a source as to why Gardner
changed
> Mason into a "softer" character between Velvet Claws and Sulky Girl,
and
> then, in my view, softened him a bit more where he became close to the
icon
> Mason in Lucky Legs.
>
> Bill Harker

I don't know if this info is specific enough for you (& you may already be aware of this) but my understanding is that the Perry Mason stories underwent a transformation to the less hardboiled, more law-abiding character that most people are familiar with when Gardner moved from the pulps to the slick-magazines & hardback publication, i.e. more
"respectable" markets.

Rene