Re: RARA-AVIS: Latimer recommendations?

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 22 Aug 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robison Michael R CNIN" < Robison_M@crane.navy.mil>

> DZ said:
> My favorite Latimer novel is "Solomon Vineyard's". It's a really wild
> one, featuring a nameless PI who uses the identity "Karl Craven" (what a
> great name!). Of the Bill Crane books, my favorite is Header For A
> Hearse.

> Mark recommended SOLOMON'S VINEYARD, too. Piqued my interest
> when he mentioned it was so scandalous that it didn't make it
> to the states until 40 years later, and then in a censored
> form. And Doug mentions to be careful and not get books of
> his that have been hacked on.

You'll have to save it for 1940s month. But let the opening sentence whet your appetite:
"From the way her buttocks looked under the black silk dress, I knew she'd be good in bed."

Also, Mike, I'm just finishing Gil Brewer's APPOINTMENT IN HELL. It's like LORD OF THE FLIES (plane crash on tropical island) with adults and sex. Stay well away. As Day Keene said of the British late late television show in the opening sentence of MURDER ON THE SIDE, it's a stinker.

Al