RARA-AVIS: Latimer

From: Mbdlevin@aol.com
Date: 22 Aug 2002

miker writes:

<< I'm wanting to read something by Jonathan Latimer for the
 1930's month. I can find these four novels: MURDER IN
 THE MADHOUSE, HEADED FOR A HEARSE, THE LADY IN THE MORGUE,
 and THE DEAD DON'T CARE. Is one of them considered better
 than the others, or are they all about the same quality?
 Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm reading Latimer too for 30s month (I'd read two a few years back) -- I'm currently reading "Red Gardenias" (the only? Crane book that you don't mention) and have "The Dead Don't Care" from interlibrary loan. The three that I have read were all great fun. I probably liked "Lady in the Morgue" the best -- but it was also the first one that I read. Be careful not to get an abridged version of any of his books (there's at least an abridged version out of there of Herse). Does anybody knock-off Latimer? It would be a tough act. Doug