RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V4 #480

From: Marianne Macdonald ( marianne.macdonald@lineone.net)
Date: 21 Aug 2002

On Wednesday, August 21, 2002, at 04:24 AM, RARA-AVIS Digest wrote:

> I suspect that in Wodehouse's case the widespread belief that
> he was a Nazi sympathizer had a lot to do with his not being on
> any honours list.

If you want something off-topic, always count on me.

Immediately after the war, this was indeed the case. Then for some time after he moved to the US, people argued that any recognition would give the wrong message to Americans, who would think all Brits were like Bertie Wooster (I kid you not - this was the argument of the British ambassador to Washington). He was granted a knighthood 2 weeks before his death. Which was from natural causes. No police procedures were involved.

Marianne