Re: RARA-AVIS: Richard S. Prather

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Aug 2002

Excellent interview with Prather. By the way, it is a scandal that the MWA has not made Prather a Grand Master. This neglect is similar to the way the literary establishment treated P.G. Wodehose, another master of irony and comedy. If justice had been made, Wodehouse would have been nobeled. Some people couldn't accept that a guy who makes you laugh can also be a great writer.

The MWA should rectify this situation while there is time. I mean, Mary Higgins Clark has received it and Prather and Donald Hamilton, who have been deserving it for forty years, have not... I find this preposterous. This is not to slight anybody, but to call attention to the matter.

In the meantime, let's give Prather and Hamilton the Rara-Avis Whisky Flask Award, which is modest but sincere
(not to mention useful and decorative...).

Regards,

mrt

=====
"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." Mark Twain