RE: RARA-AVIS: pricey Erle Stanley Gardner (was: RE: Themes of t he months)

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 20 Aug 2002

Ray said: I assume that there must be an entire universe of Erle Stanley Gardner collectors out there somewhere, but my usual experience is that when I look at a Gardner book in some used book store, the proprietor tries his best to get me to take that one and all of the rest he has down in the basement.

*********** I was surprised to hear from the list that the Perry Mason books were hardboiled. I would never have guessed it. I'll be finding out for myself here soon.

Another thing that surprises me is that these books command such a high price in the imperfect state they are in. All I know about book collecting is from a nonhardboiled mystery called BOOKED TO DIE, and he (is it Dunning?) stresses that perfect mint condition is the only way to collect stuff that isn't 100 years old.

I'm going to look for a cheap version of the VELVET CLAW book, unless somebody can tell me that a counterfeit eye or a bishop with a speech impediment reads better.

miker