RARA-AVIS: Another Fawcett Gold Medal opening

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 19 Aug 2002

I'm reading Bruno Fischer's THE LADY KILLS (1951). The opening: a man knocks on a door and it's answered by a gorgeous young woman in a skimpy bikini. I'm sure I read a Shell Scott book with an opening like this ... though maybe there she was actually wearing a towel, or maybe she was naked. Shell was always lucky. Can anyone think of other Gold Medals with an opening like this?

Here are the blurbs on the back (I mentioned these before but they're too good not to pass around again):

   "A good bet for readers who like plenty of gore in their detective
   fiction." --Morning Telegraph

   "... skilled craftsmanship ..." --New York Times

Bill