RE: RARA-AVIS: BritNoir--Ian Rankin

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 19 Aug 2002

Joy said: Anyway, I've run out of on-hand new-to-me authors, although I still plan to acquire Peace and maybe some others. I've read a couple of Ian Rankins and have been sort of on the fence as to whether they're police procedurals. Rebus has seemed to either take off on his own or be sent off; he is often only very loosely affiliated with the police department. I can see that the series isn't the exemplar of police procedurals while still allowing it in my version of that category.

************* Somebody a while ago mentioned that you can recognize a police procedural by the departmental politicking and the police method in examining the evidence. I've only read Rankin's THE BLACK BOOK, but there was plenty of police politics in it.

Although I am very interested in what qualifies as hardboiled or noir, I just can't find the same level of enthusiasm in deciding whether something is a procedural or not. Although I have come to the conclusion that all the Pearson novels I've read are procedurals, I wasn't aware of the label until long after I had read them.

miker