Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V4 #465

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Aug 2002

Marianne,

I've been out of the loop most of this week, so I've been cherry-picking messages, and missed this when it first came out:

> Right. So? I can readily admit that I find
> vocations or compulsions
> much more interesting than "jobs". It's what
> somebody MAKES of
> the job, you see.

If a given story was about a man who was, say, a lawyer or a doctor, but his working life was not part of the story, then one could say that his job made no difference. He might just as easily have been a greengrocer or a dentist.

If a story is about a man who is in a particular profession and the story is about that man working at his profession, then the profession is central to the story.

If significant attempts to get the technical details of that job right are made by the author, so that it's as accurate as a piece of fiction can be, then we can conclude that the technical accuracy with which the profession is presented is central. This is the case, by Rankin's own admission, with Rankin.

A police procedural isn't so much the story of a crime, or even the story of the solution to a crime, as it is the story of a person doing a job of work. The Rebus stories are stories about a man doing his job.

> Dear heavens, Jim Doherty, you think that MOBY DICK
> is a WHALING
> PROCEDURAL?

Whatever else MOBY DICK is, religious allegory or thumping great tale of maritime adventure, it's a thoroughly gripping, thoroughly authentic depiction of how the crews of 19th Century whaling vessels went about their work. Significantly, Melville crewed on three different whaling vessels (just as Wambaugh served on the LAPD, Wainwright on the County Constabulary of Yorkshire's West Riding, and Petievitch on the US Secret Service), and called it his personal university education.

JIM DOHERTY