Re: RARA-AVIS: Gil Brewer

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 17 Aug 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Robison" < zspider@gte.net>
> Ah! A Gil Brewer man! What are the good ones, Al? What are the ones to
> skip?

I'm by no means an expert, Mike. But from what I have read, it seems Brewers novels fall loosely into two categories: those primarily influenced by Hammett and those primarily influenced by Cain. Of the former, A KILLER IS LOOSE - widely regarded as Brewer's best - is excellent. But if you want to read something that makes Brewer different from the majority of the GM stable, try 13 FRENCH STREET. Others to look out for: THREE-WAY SPLIT and THE RED SCARF. As for ones to skip? Gil Brewer? Skip? Fffff.... I suppose you'll be wanting to skip some David Goodis and Day Keene as well? And I thought you navy guys had stamina....

THE HUNGRY ONE is the only moderate disappointment I've had from Brewer, but there are a lot I haven't read.

Al