RE: RARA-AVIS: RED DRAGON and MANHUNTER: MikeR

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 Aug 2002

Todd and Miker,

Re your comments below:

> A new RED DRAGON is indeed in the offing; I rather
> preferred the
> unspectacular MANHUNTER as a version of RED DRAGON
> to the hamming of Anthony
> Hopkins and the dumbing-down generally of THE
> SILENCE OF THE LAMBS in the
> film version of that one. Haven't read nor seen
> HANNIBAL yet.

While I rather liked the film version of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, I did prefer MANHUNTER, and, moreover, prefered Bryan Cox's version of Lector to Hopkins's
(which struck me as Cox-influenced), and, on balance, Dennis Farina's version of the head of Behavioral Science. Curiously, I preferred the novel SILENCE OF THE LAMBS to RED DRAGON. Go figure.

> And the ending blew me away. WAHOOOO!!! Thomas
> Harris, you
> kick butt, dude! The ending was so revolutionary,
> so much of
> a breach of everything we hold holy about the good
> guys, such
> an ultimate transgression of truth, justice, and the
> American
> Way, that they pitched it and wrote a more
> conventional ending
> for the movie.

I happen to like Truth, Justice, and the American Way.
 I don't really find the fact that Harris decided to revolt against those verities a point of literary merit. Call me reactionary.

JIM DOHERTY