RE: RARA-AVIS: Caldwell

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 15 Aug 2002

Bill Crider said: I'd go with TOBACCO ROAD if only because it's the one that started the whole "backwoods" trend. I did an article once for THE JOURNAL OF POPULAR CULTURE. I called it "See What the Boys in the Backwoods Will Have," and it was all about the kind of books that followed TOBACCO ROAD. Harry Whittington wrote a lot of those, but my favorites are the ones in the "Cabin Road" series by John Faulkner (all Gold Medals).

************** Thanks, Bill. That's the one I'm going for. I was at Barnes and Nobles last week and was pleased that they had them both. Them darn trade paperbacks are expensive!

And I've seen some black-and-white's of the covers from one or two of John Faulkner's Gold Medals in HARDBOILED AMERICA. It was only a month or so ago that I found out he was William Faulkner's brother. Them Faulkner boys loved that poor white trash theme, didn't they? ;-)

I noticed Mario or Al mentioned your Whittington article in the BIG BOOK OF NOIR. I assume that's the same one that's in MURDER OFF THE RACK. And from the brief scan I did of your Whittington piece, I think I read that he has written over a hundred novels? Darn! That's knocking em out!

miker