Re: RARA-AVIS: Friedrich Durrenmatt

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 14 Aug 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: < WordRunner@aol.com>

> Can anyone tell me something about the mysteries written by Friedrich
> Durrenmatt? Are they hard-boiled or merely dark? How many of them are
there?
> Thanks in advance.

There are four mysteries.

THE JUDGE AND HIS HANGMAN THE QUARRY THE PLEDGE A DANGEROUS GAME

I read them all about twenty years ago and remember them fondly but indistinctly. My Picador Omnibus edition calls them "paradoxical Kafka-esque detective stories." I don't recollect them as hardboiled or even particularly noir, but I wasn't aware of such terms then, to be honest.

There's a fifth novel, "ONCE A GREEK", which isn't a mystery.

Al