RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V4 #463

From: WoodyHaut@aol.com
Date: 14 Aug 2002

Etienne, You lulled me from lurkdom long enough to add the name of one of my favourites, the great Andre Helena to your list of French writers. He wrote over thirty romans noirs from the late 1940s to the mid-1960s, as well as novels about WW2, erotic fiction, film scripts, poetry, etc.. He knew and admired Malet and Georges Arnaud, and set most of novels in either his native Languedoc-Rousillon or Paris. Over the past few years, his books have begun to be reprinted in France. I've only read Les Clients du Central-Hotel and Les Voyageurs du vendredi, both of which I enjoyed very much. Anyone interested in him should check out Dossier: Andre Helena in Polar, no. 23. Also, I always thought the term "polar" was coined by Manchette, and is short for polaroid- i.e., a crime novel that functions as a snapshot of society. Woody Haut