RARA-AVIS: Chandler Fulbright

From: T.Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@shaw.ca)
Date: 13 Aug 2002

Someone had asked about the Chandler Fulbright that allowed writers to spend a year at Oxford writing and wondered about the winners. While I can't provide a list, Concerto in Dead Flat by Wendell McCall has the main character, Chris Klick, going undercover at Oxford as a mystery writer on a Raymond Chandler Research Fellowship. In an author's note, McCall writes that he spent a year in the late 1980s on a Chandler Fulbright. McCall, who is better known today as Ridley Pearson, called it "that fabulous and unique experience, perhaps the best year of my life." Concerto was published by Poisoned Pen Press in 1999 and the publisher may still have copies.

Kent Morgan in Winnipeg