Re: RARA-AVIS: Gold Medal: The Avenger

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Aug 2002

<<A great comment, and it pretty much expresses my feelings about most of the Gold Medal line. God help me, but I just love 'em. Well, most of 'em.>>

So do I. And if a Gold Medal turns sappy or ridiculous, at least you can finish it quickly.

I finally got into Aarons's Assignment: Burma. What a terse, clean style this writer had... Technically, he's up there with John D., Hamilton, Prather and Charles Williams. Straight sentences, strong action verbs, quick and precise characterization, nothing wasted. Not much sappiness, either.

From 2/3 of this book and two others I've read, I would urge raravians to go for Aarons. I have found a lot of his books in Salvation Army stores. They are dusty and often battered, but they are damn good reads. Which perhaps explains why they are battered.

Best,

MrT

=====
"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." Mark Twain