Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent JDM Gold Medal purchases

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 10 Aug 2002

On 10 August 2002, abc@wt.net wrote:

: Bill, you found a rare gem with I COULD GO ON SINGING. Not
: that it's a good book; it's just an expensive one. Hard to
: find, and very collectible. Are you sure it's not a first
: printing? Rumor has it that JDM refused to allow it to be
: reprinted.

You're right, it is the first printing. The others I got all list McGee books written years after their copyright date, which is the only obvious way to see they're reprints, but the other Gold Medals by JDM listed here are pre-1963, the date of the movie and the book's copyright. My copy is in good condition, but I see some very goods on bookfinder.com going for over $100 US. I had no idea.

"From the sensational new JUDY GARLAND movie comes JOHN D. MACDONALD's tender, haunting novel of the woman who is a star living in a world of spellbinding triumph--and stark, desperate need."

Bill