Re: RARA-AVIS: Procedurals (was: Jonathan Craig)

From: Jim Beaver ( jumblejim@prodigy.net)
Date: 09 Aug 2002

I certainly meant no slur on the Martin Beck books by calling them
"semi-procedurals." The Becks are among my very favorite crime stories. I simply wanted to express a slightly different feeling given me by the Becks as opposed to the 87th Precincts or the Terry Marlow book I just finished
(it held up!). There's something about the Becks that I can't quite put my finger on, that separates them in my mind, for some reason, from nuts-and-bolts cop operation books. But the more I explore that
"something," the less I can come up with to describe it. So I'm more than willing to "restore" them to full procedural status, while I try to figure out what made me feel slightly differently about them as compared to McBain's boys.

Really, really liked the Marlow. Am I the only one on list who's read it?

Jim Beaver