Re: RARA-AVIS: Jonathan Craig

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Aug 2002

Jim,

Re your comment below:

> I've come to appreciate police procedurals
> enormously in recent months,
> first through the Sjowall-Wahloo books on Martin
> Beck (sort of
> semi-procedurals, at least in my mind) and then
> through Ed McBain.

Why do you regard the Beck books as only SEMI-procedural? It certainly seemed to me that the authors did their homework and sweated the details about Swedish law enforcement.

Moreover, they got the idea for writing a series of Swedish-set cop novels after being hired to translate a number of McBain's 87th Precinct books into Swedish.
 They even mentioned in an interview that they once had an idea about Beck traveling to NYC and collaborating with Steve Carella on some sort of international case. What makes them something less than fully "procedural" in your judgment?

BTW, if you like books by cops, check out the British crime writer John Wainwright. For my money the best cop-writer in ANY country. And his ALL ON A SUMMER'S DAY would get my vote for best police procedural.

JIM DOHERTY