RE: RARA-AVIS: Brett Halliday recommendations

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Aug 2002

Another point that should be mentioned about the Shayne novels is Halliday's plotting.

Almost alone among HB writers, Halliday gave a lot of thought and effort to the puzzles, making sure that the clues were fairly planted, and that everything was satisfactorily explained the final scenes.

I'm not that much a a puzzle afficianado, but I appreciate good examples when I see them. Halliday might be described as the "cozy" hard-boiled writer in the sense that the actual plots, minus the HB elements represented by urban PI Shayne, would not be out of place in a book by Christie, Queen, or Carr.

There's an enjoyable web site dvoted to Halliday and Shayne at:

http://www.mikeshayne.com

with cover scans, movie posters, and vidcaps from the short-lived TV series.

JIM DOHERTY