RARA-AVIS: Recommendations Sought

From: George C. Upper III ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Aug 2002

Hi, all. I'm fixin' to order a book from BN.com (the 2003 Poet's Market, in which _The Lightning Bell_ should appear, although it's not h-b and certainly not on topic), and since I know I'll get free shipping if I order more than one book, I'm looking for that perfect second. I thought that the following nominees might be a good short list from which to choose.

Has anyone read any of these? Anyone have a recommendation to make before Friday, when I have to have my order in?

Best P.I. Novel ANGEL IN BLACK by Max Allan Collins (NAL) ASHES OF ARIES by Martha C. Lawrence (St. Martins) THE DEVIL WENT DOWN TO AUSTIN by Rick Riordan (Bantam) REFLECTING THE SKY by S.J. Rozan (St. Martins) COLD WATER BURNING by John Straley (Bantam)

Best Paperback Original P.I. Novel KEEPERS, Janet LaPierre (Perseverance Press) ARCHANGEL PROTOCOL, Lyda Morehouse (ROC/NAL) ANCIENT ENEMY, Robert Westbrook (Signet)

Best First P.I. Novel RAT CITY - Curt Colbert (Ugly Town) CHASING THE DEVILĀ¹S TAIL - David Fulmer (Poisoned Pen Press) EPITAPH - James Siegel (Mysterious Press) WITNESS ABOVE- Andy Straka ( Signet) PILIKIA IS MY BUSINESS - Mark Troy (LTDBooks)

Barring any recommendations, I'll probably go with either the Collins books (it's hard not to like Collins) or Mark Troy's, since I've already heard good things about it.

However, I'm hoping not to have to make a decision sans recommendations.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/