RARA-AVIS: The Box

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 06 Aug 2002

I only own two Gold Medal books and I just finished the last one, Peter Rabe's THE BOX. Good book. I was very satisfied with the way it ended. Character interaction was subtle and satisfying, if maybe just a hair tedious. The plot was slightly hard to swallow, too, but I don't consider that to be a significant problem. The truth is that a lot of unreasonable stuff happens in the real world all the time.

In a windy sun-parched town on the north coast of Africa, a suspicious crate is unloaded from a freighter before it has reached its destination. A man, Quinn, is found trapped inside, still alive. His trip in the box was his reward for coming out on the losing end of an organized crime rivalry in the States. Quinn finds two things that he wants in this small town: first, a beautiful woman named Bea, and second, a smuggling op- eration run by the town's mayor. The story concerns his struggle to gain both, and the eventual outcome.

*
* S P O I L E R
*
*

So in the end Bea and Quinn run off together, don't they? Seems like Bea might have had second thoughts about him when the only reason he took her was because he couldn't have Remal's smuggling operation. Oh well, true love, I guess.

miker