RARA-AVIS: Gold Medal contribution

From: Jim Stephenson ( jestephenson@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 06 Aug 2002

I'm currently engrossed in *Carter Beats the Devil* and can't actively participate in the Gold Medal discussion, but I must mention one of my favorite opening lines which comes courtesy of a Gold Medal novel. Day Keene's *To Kiss, To Kill* (1951) opens with the grabber, "You can never tell what a big, tough Polish boy will do when he finds a nude blond in his bathroom."

Now I ask you, who can stop reading after a masterpiece like that?

---------- Jim Stephenson Rare Books Cataloger Getty Research Institute 1200 Getty Center Drive Suite 1100 Los Angeles, CA 90049-1688