Re: RARA-AVIS: Gold Medal Month -- THE DAMNED, GM R2052

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Aug 2002

Doug Basset comments about the patches of bad writing in
_The Dammned_. Few JDM books are free from such descents into hack territory. In his best books it doesn't matter, but when it becomes too noticeable, I find it irritating. Were _The Damned_ not such a suspenseful story, I would have given up.

Given the huge volume of words he produced, JMD must have worked very fast, with little time for polishing. What astonishes me is the variety of characters and topics he touches on, as well as the expressiveness of his best stuff. In this, as in his proclivity to fall into rancid stuff, he resembles John O'Hara more than any other crime writer I know. Like O'Hara, JDM needs a sympathetic reader, an accomplice.

Best regards,

MrT

=====
"The skill of man is unequal to the formation of a new man from old materials, but the battered tenement may, with care, be long sustained by props" -- From Becklard's Physiology.