RARA-AVIS: John McPartland

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 04 Aug 2002

I thought I'd follow Bill & Al's lead & talk about one of the less stellar of the GM authors, one of the solid writers who didn't achieve noir superstar status like Goodis etc but churned out solid, entertaining & well written slices of (then) modern noir. I've just read a couple of McPartland's books but they've both been solid books, on a par, more or less, with Colby's THE CAPTAIN MUST DIE. The first book I read was THE KINGDOM OF JOHNNY COOL, a fictional biography of a Mafia hood, which I found a little reminiscent of Peter Rabe, perhaps just because McPartland is working in the same sub-genre. Not a classic of the genre but I found it enjoyable. I liked THE WILD PARTY better. It's about a respectable couple who get kidnapped by a psycho ex-footballer & his unwilling accomplices, a bunch of down & out boho types. I think both of these were filmed (the first one as JOHNNY COOL) but I've never seen either of the flicks.

Rene