Re: RARA-AVIS: GM 835 The Captain Must Die

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 04 Aug 2002

As Al says:

> This is an above average revenge tale by Robert Colby.

It makes me recall the movie ATTACK! (directed by Robert Aldrich of KISS ME, DEADLY, WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE?, etc, fame) a sort of noir/war movie - more noir than war, really. IIRC, although it's set during the Battle of the Bulge in WWII we don't see a single German. The scene is a group (platoon?) of US soldiers holed up in a bombed out basement, led by a cowardly officer (played by Eddie "Green Acres" Albert) who is responsible for the deaths of many (most?) of the soldiers under his command. Very intense, vary claustrophobic & features Jack Palance, a favourite actor of mine. I saw this on late-night TV at 3am when I was 16 years old & "it really blew me out", as I would have said in those days. At least, I'm pretty sure it was the movie that blew me out. I haven't seen it since but I'm always on the look out - it's a dark mother of a movie.

Rene