Re: RARA-AVIS: Paperback Originals/Gold Medal

From: Ron Clinton ( clinton65@att.net)
Date: 03 Aug 2002

Bill Crider wrote:
> Bill asked about the history of GM. OK, but be careful what
> you ask for. You may get it. This article is from
> Paperback Quarterly, Volume 1, Number 1, way back in 1978.

Nice insight, Bill -- thanks for sending it along. I'd follow up on this by highly recommending THE GREAT AMERICAN PAPERBACK, a oversized coffee-table book edited by Richard Lupoff and pub. by Collectors Press. Came out a year or two ago and it has some great editorial and graphics about Gold Medal and just about every other pb publisher there was...at least to some extent
(naturally editorial license had some publishers more prominently profiled than others). I don't pretend to be an expert about pb's, but I found it a highly entertaining and informative read.

Best of all, if you have a Half Price Books in your area, might want to check with them (or their on-line site)...the location I went to had multiple copies for $19.99, nearly 2/3 off the published price.

Ron Clinton