RARA-AVIS: House of Flesh/Bruno Fischer

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 02 Aug 2002

This is the book that Fischer mentioned in his PAPERBACK QUARTERLY interview as selling two million copies, the best seller of his Gold Medal novels. It's the story of Harry Wilde (not the most subtly named character), a professional basketball player who plans to spend the summer in a small, upstate New York town to recover from a hard season and a painful divorce. The place isn't as peaceful as Harry hopes it will be, though, because the town has all sorts of secrets (as all small towns do, at least in fiction), and things just get darker and darker ...

It's all very lurid, melodramatic, and great fun. Fischer got his start in the weird menace pulps and knows how to keep a story perking along. I can see why it sold so well, too, because for its time, this is pretty racy stuff. I enjoyed it quite a bit and plan to read more of Fischer's novels.

Best, James