RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V4 #438

From: Marianne Macdonald ( marianne.macdonald@lineone.net)
Date: 02 Aug 2002

That's interesting. It sounds like an attempted throw-back to earlier practices. In the UK, ordinary books only started to be issued in hard covers late in the 19th century. It was assumed you would have your books bound, presumably to match, if you were adding them to your library. My French books (all 20c) are still all paperbacks. The idea of leather-binding a Gold Medal pb does seem a little expensive, even to solve the problems of those glued paper covers! ;-)