RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS UK month

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 01 Aug 2002

Charles Williams said: I tend to agree. Horror need not contain supernatural elements. Horror is about monsters and fear. For a century or so the vampire reigned as the main

focus of fear and fascination, the one who looks like us yet kills us and attracts us because of it. But I don't think that works now. If nothing else, that icon is worn out. We're all a bit more literal. It's not easy to be scared by something that we scoff at.

************* I take it from this post that you don't believe in vampires and werewolves?

You aren't any fun at all, Charles. I think the early titles in Laurell Hamilton's Anita Blake vampire slayer series are absolutely fantastic. Although the Blake novels are firmly lodged in the horror section of the local bookstore, Anita Blake is also wickedly hardboiled. She's equally at home dealing out cynical one-liners or blazing away with her 9mm Beretta.

And don't forget that there's a whole big section of the population out there that scoffs at us sitting around reading our tough-guy novels.

miker