Re: RARA-AVIS: JDM biblio

From: George C. Upper III ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Jul 2002

--- Al Guthrie < allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE (?, 1966) doesn't exist in any of
> my references. Has
> this been confused with YOU LIVE ONCE (1956)? Also,
> PLEASE WRITE FOR
> DETAILS has two entries (October & December 1959).

Bill--

I've been meaning to tell you of these two for a while now. I actually use a printed version of your list both as a quick reference for my writing and as a checklist when I'm out book-hunting.

It also helps me keep the publication dates straight. JDM wrote the first several McGee books, for instance, before any of them were published, and I tend to think of all of them as "1963" which, of course, is incorrect. And did you know that his protagonist was named Dallas McGee for the first several novels? I'm not sure why he changed it to Travis, but in the manuscripts, where Travis would be called "Trav," Dallas would be called "Dal." Now, I know that JDM probably meant Dal to rhyme with gal, but when I was reading it was hard not to read it as "Doll." I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/