Re: RARA-AVIS: re: Chandler radio show

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 04 Jul 2002

> Tri-Star optioned it for 18 months, stole another 5 months on a
completely
> illegal contract technicality, then re-upped the option for another
year to
> keep it off the market while they developed the similarly themed (yet
vastly
> inferior!) "8 mm". They let the option lapse on the same day they
started
> shooting "8 mm" and I soon discovered that my project was dead in the
water in
> Hollywood. An A list director squired SHOOTERS around town for about
two weeks
> until he called Nicolas Cage's agent to discuss hiring him and found
out that
> Cage was already MAKING that movie.
>
> Am I happy with the results of that deal? You betcha.

Another Hollywood horror story. I hope that there was at least a reasonable amount of money paid out & I guess there's always a chance someone will pick it up later. I presume these options lapse after a period of time & Hollywood has never been shy of recycling ideas let alone using similar ones, it's just a question of timing. The good thing about books is that they stay around almost forever, even if they are out of print. If only Jim Thompson & Philip K Dick were still alive they'd be making packets by now & being a young guy still ,especially as far as authors go, time is on your side,to paraphrase a soul music chanteuse who's name escapes me at the moment.

Rene