RARA-AVIS: Selective Censorship?

From: Bill Bowers ( BBowers@one.net)
Date: 22 Jun 2002

------Original Message----

>Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:48:09 -0400 (EDT)
>From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net (Mark Sullivan)
>Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Algren's trip
>
>Rene wrote:
>
>"Although censorship was rampant & one of Sydney's 2 Top 40 stations was
>run by the Catholic church the line about "giving head" was never
>censored because no-one in Australia knew what the expression meant at
>that time, at least not before "Walk on the Wild Side" came out."
>
>The same must have gone for US radio, as that line was played, but
>"colored girls" was deleted.

Where was that, Mark?

It most definitely was _not_ deleted in north-Central Ohio, which is not exactly a hot-bed of permissiveness, or racial tolerance.

Of course that whole area is a bit, well, 'conflicted'. In the 1970s a Medina, Ohio printing firm held a fanzine of mine for nearly two weeks, before informing me that they "didn't have to print that _kind_ of stuff". They never would give me a reason in writing, but I'm pretty sure it was the full-page illustration of a crucified alien that upset their sensibilities.....

I refuse to read anything into the fact that the Very Same company was, at the time, making Big Bucks printing posters. Including, yes, the nipple-enhanced Farrah Fawcett one that was so prominent at the time....

Different kind of "stuff", I presume.

--
Bill Bowers