Re: RARA-AVIS: peter robinson/gits

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 13 Jun 2002

miker wrote:

> to rene: darn it! thought i had rabe's _box_ bought thru
> abebooks, but they called me up and told me they couldn't
> locate it. i was wondering if _kill the boss goodbye_ is a
> good one. i notice it was recently reprinted by black
> lizard.

KILL THE BOSS GOODBYE is an excellent "consolation prize" - if memory serves, all the Black Lizard Rabe reprints were top drawer (like all the old pb masters I can think of, not everything Rabe wrote was a masterpiece.THE BOX is a masterpiece, IMO). As far as THE BOX goes, your best bet is to track down a copy of PURE PULP edited by Gorman, Greenberg & Pronzini (aka "The Usual Suspects") & published by Carroll & Graf in 1999. I would think it would be easily available through both Amazon & ABE. Aside from incl. THE BOX it's chockablock full of meaty hb/noir goodness, one of my favourites is a little gem by SF author Algis Budrys (his classic SF novel WHO? had a hardboiled feel, as much Cold War thriller as SF), MASTER OF THE HOUNDS, noir with a gothic feel. PURE PULP would be much better value as it includes THE BOX & a whole volume's worth of excellent hb/noir short stories. I own all the original Black Lizard Rabe reprints & about a dozen of his Gold Medal paperbacks as well as a few Australian & UK reprints from the 60's or 70's but the only format I've ever seen THE BOX in is in this anthology - which makes this anthology doubly good value.

Rene