Re: RARA-AVIS: Matt Helm Movies

From: Graham Powell ( bleekerbooks@hotmail.com)
Date: 13 Jun 2002

>In most cases, the decisions on what movies are produced, and what their
>ultimate form will be, are made by the people who finance them, who are in
>large part, bankers, accountants, and these days- market researchers.
>
>John Lau

I didn't mean to suggest that Karlson and McGivern were responsible for the generally poor quality of these films. What I meant was, ye gods, they were not well suited to generating a spy spoof. Rowan and Martin would have done a better job. The film they worked on together, THE WRECKING CREW, basically amounted to hackwork for both of them. The studio could at least have found someone with a feel for light comedy.

Graham