RARA-AVIS: Re: Rankin

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 12 Jun 2002

Ed asked:
"Are other of Rankin's novels I should be checking out?"

I've read a handful in random order and enjoyed them all. This is a series that I think is worth reading in order because Rebus has a rather complicated web of relationships, partnerships, friendships, emotional crises, alcholism, etc. I've vowed to get to these soon but I have to finish up Connelly and Pelecanos first :). Anyway, of the ones I've read, I thought "Hanging Garden" was by far the best; and "Dead Souls" (which may have been "Lost Souls" in the UK?) was almost a great book though it had a few plots too many. I counted no less than 4 plots; not even a matter of plot and subplot because they'e all almost equally developed. This could easily have been 2 or 3 books. In fact, Rankin published a more extended version of one of these plots in novella form - called "Death is not the end" I believe.

carrie
-

He got thirty years for lovin' her/ from some Oklahoma governor,/ who said
"everything this doughboy does is wrong" - Tom Waits

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx