RE: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Classics 1998

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 03 Jun 2002

Erick wrote:

I've read nearly all of the finalists, with the exception of those that made up the four-way tie for 8th place: 8:The Big Clock 8:You Play the Black and the Red Comes Up 8:The Talented Mr Ripley 8:The Chill Of these, would my fellow avians care to opine on which I should first pursue? Thanks for your help.

I've read all but The Big Clock. I'd recommend The Chill the most highly, one of Macdonald's best, solidifying on the shift he made in The Galton Case.

I actually found a copy of the Black Lizard edition of You Play the Black . . . for 50 cents at a library sale today. For the same price, I also picked up:

Point Blank (#2 in Berkeley Medallion's misnumbered The Violent World of Parker series) by Richard Stark The French Key by Frank Gruber Killer's Choice by Ed McBain The Stalker by Bill Pronzini (I've only read his Nameless books, is this any good?)

and two by John D: The Good Old Stuff and Judge Me Not

One of these days I've got to attack my pile of non-Travis MacDonalds. I've got a bunch of them.

Mark