Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Arkady & Apocalypse

From: Scatalogic@aol.com
Date: 30 Apr 2002

Sally Jane Driscoll < renza9@yahoo.com> writes:

>"yob tvoi mat' (using the informal rather than the
>formal 'your')"
>
>That was the plural---all yo' mamas. Thanks, Victoria.
>
>Isn't "yob" old British slang for a criminal? Anyone
>know how that came into English?

I don't know that I'm afraid, but yob is still a current usage in the UK. "Yob Culture", being a favourite coinage. A yob is derograty and usually refers to a youngster engaged in pointless acts of violence, brawling and destruction. Similar to Hooligan (large unruly Irish family originally I believe) and, lout. You are as likely to see Soccer rioters referred to as Yobs, as Hooligans.