RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled and delurk

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 27 Apr 2002

anthony said: Oh, you found a web site that says so ... well it must be true then. We weren't ruling them out by the way and it would take more than a "web site" to say otherwise.

hi anthony,

thanks for the information on dibdin and ambler. evidently you missed the context of the message to charles. he had stated:

"...I think a noir novel can contain no hardboiled characters."

so it wasn't "you" i was talking about when i referred to not ruling hardboiled characters out of a noir novel. it was charles.

and yup! if it says so in a web site, its gotta be God's (notice the rare upper case there) word. i could have sited jim's famous line about "anything that is tough and colloquial, and dark and sinister is both hardboiled and noir," but i believe jim has filed for copyright on it and i didn't want to get caught up in any copyright infringement mess. ;-)

miker