Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V4 #235

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 26 Apr 2002

Re "Doherty's Rule," as Jim Blue aptly named it:

I can understand why James Bond is not hardboiled. Even though I brought him up to see what exactly was the disqualifying factor, according to the rule, I don't really think of him as hardboiled, either, placing him more in the spy and men's adventure traditions.

I do think Hannibal Lecter (at least in his first two appearances, haven't read the third), barely makes the cut, but can easily see why others might not, placing him within the gothic tradition, from which he is obviously derived.

However, what keeps Batman out? While Bruce Wayne may not be, Batman is tough and colloquial in many (most?) of his incarnations. So why is he out according to the rule?

Mark